Brix and Mortimer Ltd recognises that privacy and the security of your personal information is extremely important. Data is a record of information about an individual that includes identifiable characteristics.
This policy sets out why we record your data, what we do with the information and how we keep it secure. It also explains where and how we collect your personal information, as well as your rights over any personal information we hold about you.
This policy applies to you if you register to use our service, request marketing notifications, provide personal data for lawful purposes, request and receive information about our services, property listings and recommended third party services. Typically, you might provide personal data to us through registering on our website, on-line property portals, social media channels, directly contacting us in person, via email or over the phone.
In order to provide the service you request of us we need to know and record your personal data. Where a contract exists we will need to record and source data in order to perform our contractual obligations and claim our fee, in accordance with our terms of business. Where a legitimate interest exists, your data may be stored for fair and lawful processing. An example of a ‘legitimate Interest’ might include (but is not limited to) Brix and Mortimer recording the personal details of a person (‘Data Subject’) who has recently viewed one of our listed properties. If you do not provide such information we may be unable to provide the services you have requested. We will only collect data that is necessary. We will take all reasonable steps to ensure that your personal data is processed securely.
Use of Data
All personal data held about a person Data Subject will be processed in the United Kingdom Europe and United States and no third parties will have access to your personal data unless there is a legal obligation for us to provide it or unless you have given consent.
Some data is retained as a matter of legal compliance with UK and European law enforcement agencies.
We may also process data if it is necessary for the performance of a contract with you, or to take steps to enter into a contract. An example of this would be processing accurate and up to date data in connection with providing you with services.
Data may be used for marketing purposes to provide property details, market Information and occasional updates about the services we offer, now and in the future, and the services of relevant third parties may also be communicated to you.
Where your data is processed, other than in accordance with one of these uses, we will first obtain your consent.
How long we keep Information
We will typically keep your personal data for a minimum of 2 years. Electronically stored Data will only be retained beyond this period, and physical Data up to 6 years, if required for legal purposes, or for record keeping.
If you provide consent to our marketing, any information we use for this purpose will be held by us until you notify us you no longer wish to receive this information, or if we haven’t had contact with you for a period of 12 months.
Sharing your data
Your personal data will only be shared with third parties where you have first given us prior consent or where it necessary for the performance of a contract. In the extreme event that we become an ‘Agent of Necessity’, data essential to an emergency response may be shared for lawful purposes and at the discretion of Brix and Mortimer.
Examples of groups or third parties that we may provide your personal data to, include, but are not limited to:
Mortgage Providers/ Financial Services
Other Sales & Lettings Agents
Energy Performance Certificate Technicians
Local and National government authorities, when a specific lawful request is made.
Data Collection Methods
We record data that is voluntarily provided to us by data subjects or where the information is freely available in the public domain. Data subjects that contact us may do so through the use of our website, facebook, twitter and other on-line platforms. Clients, applicants, contractors and suppliers that contact us about our services, by email, telephone, or by visiting our office in person may also provide personal information.
The data we acquire and retain for the provision of our services may include, but is not limited to: name, title, address, email address, company name, telephone, and any other relevant information provided by the data subject electronically, physically, by telephone or in person.
Data is typically processed in order to assist with:
- Buyer and seller registration.
- Identifying and anticipating buyer and seller requirements
- Informing potential buyers about properties for sale.
- The creation of accurate property details and recording individual buyer criteria
- Recording individual buyer characteristics, viewing activity and feedback
- Recording negotiations and offers
- Updating vendor and buyer records
- Conveyancing reports, communicating with solicitors, surveyors and appointed contractors
- Introducing relevant third party services
- Promoting future events and services.
Brix and Mortimer Ltd will only collect data for the purpose required and which is necessary for the provision of the service requested.
Social Media/On-Line Platforms
Communication, engagement and actions taken through external social media and On-Line platforms that our website and its owners participate are subject to the terms, conditions and privacy policies held with each social media platform respectively.
Users of social media platforms, participate at their own risk and we advise care is taken in regard to the private information users provide. This website and its owners will only ask for the minimum information necessary to make contact or initiate a service. Personal or sensitive information will only be sought, where necessary, and through primary communication channels such as email or over the telephone.
This Site and its owners through their social media platform accounts may share web links to relevant web pages. Users are advised to take caution and good judgement before clicking any shortened URLS published on social media by this site and its owners. Great care is taken by the owners of this site to ensure only genuine URLS are published, however social media platforms are prone to hacking, and therefore this site and its owners cannot be held liable for any damages or implications caused by visiting any shortened links.
We take security measures to protect your information that include:
- Limiting access to our office, filing systems and encrypted computers/electronics devices. Access to the office is restricted to those who are entitled to be there, either by use of electronic key card or supervised visitors during office hours.
- External electronic devices such as computers, telephones and hard drives are passcode protected and encrypted.
- Access to electronically stored information directly held by Brix and Mortimer is protected by security technologies, including firewalls, ID verification, passwords and encryption.
- Data processed externally on Cloud based storage or CRM systems is only held by large, reputable organisations with established and robust cyber security systems.
Brix & Mortimer are committed to the continual improvement and revision of our data security measures. We follow updates in the law and will apply effective privacy policies as part of our programme of continuous professional development.
Your right to Opt-Out
You have the right to ask us not to contact you for marketing purposes at any time - to Opt Out – we have included details of how to Opt Out below.
The provision of your relevant and applicable personal data is free however excessive requests may be refused or charged for.
If you feel your complaint was not addressed satisfactorily you may communicate your concerns to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO).
Your rights under GDPR are as follows:
- The right to access the personal information we hold on you
- The right to rectify and update the personal data we hold on you
- The right to have your personal data permanently erased
- The right to restrict the processing of your personal data
- The right to data portability
- The right to withdraw your consent to the processing at any time for any processing of personal data to which consent was sought (Opt-Out).
- The right to object to the processing of personal data where applicable.
- The right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioners Office.
Information Commissioner’s Office,
Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire SK9 5AF.
I.C.O. Telephone: 0303 123 1113
Brix and Mortimer Telephone: 01242 898 746
This Policy was last updated on 10th April 2018